FEATURED RECIPE: VEGAN FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
Serves: 4 (makes about 2.25 cups sauce)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
• 1 package fettuccini pasta (12 ounces)
• ¾ cup water
• 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup) or add more beans for a lower-fat version
• 1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed white beans (navy, great northern or cannellini)
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or 2 fresh cloves, minced
• ¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg, or up to ¼ teaspoon pre-ground
Optional garnishes: 1 ounce chopped nuts (cashews, walnuts, pine nuts); chopped parsley
1. Put water and cashews in blender and set aside for at least 15 minutes so cashews can soften.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cool water, return the to pot and set aside.
3. Add beans, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, white pepper and nutmeg to blender, blend on high until very smooth. Add a little water
as needed to thin.
4. Stir sauce into the pot of cooked pasta, and heat through on medium-low heat. Serve immediately.